Thursday, August 12, 2010

Untimely Accidents and Summer Heat

July 31, 2010: Lee University Commencement began at 10:3 A.M. with me being in line to receive my degree.
Now, it is August 12, 2010, 100 degrees outside and where am I at? Home. Not at the job of my dreams or in my own little humble abode; home.
I didn't expect to snag a job as soon as my feet came off the stage, but you would think that with a Bachelor's in Health Science, there would be employers waiting to hire willing hearts, such as mine. I have searched high and low, but every place wants you to be a nurse, a doctor, or have a Master's or to be certified in something I know that I am capable of doing.
In high school, they imbed it into your brain that college is the way to go... they don't tell you that it will take you eight years of higher education just to get a job.

Okay, I really hope that you have stuck with me here. I promise that I am off my soap box.
Now, on to this rediculous summer heat.
It is sweltering in my little corner of the southeast. I just took my dog out to, well, you know, and I'm pretty sure I melted a little. At 11:30 in the morning, it is already in the high 80s low 90s, and a heat advisory is in effect between the hours of 2 P.M. and 8 P.M.
With that in mind, let me tell you about my little adventure yesterday. I leave home to go hand in a resume and an application at a local business. I still had a little money left over from graduation, so I decided to go buy myself a pair of black Tevas (the most comfortable pair of sandals ever) at the mall. I'm in dress clothes and all that jazz too. I get in my car to leave, and I begin driving down the highway to go to my house. I hear this very loud POP sound. I thought that a rock had flew up and hit the bottom of my car... until my car started shaking and wobbling. I pulled over on the side of the road, got out, went around to the back end, and my rear passenger tire had exploded!!
Now, mind you, I am a 22 year old single female out alone of course, and this happens. I sorta knew what to do: CALL DADDY!! I knew that I didn't have a jack, so I couldn't get the process started, so I waited. At first, I had my car running with the A/C, but it started to smell weird, so I shut it off. Let me tell you, sitting in a car and it being 100+ outside, on the hot pavement, had to be the hottest I had ever been. Except for the time I camped in the jungle in Honduras.
Needless to say, Daddy came to the rescue, and even brought a co-worker to help him get it done quicker. Now, I am out a car with nothing to do, which is why I am now sitting here, writing to you, as if you are actually sitting here with me, in the home office/guest bedroom.
Next week, all of my friends that have yet to graduate will begin the school year, and frankly, I am sad that I will not be returning!

No comments: