Friday, August 27, 2010

On Bullying

After a few days of utter discouragement, I am now happy to say that I have efficiently written a powerful lesson on David and Goliath for my beautiful kids in my Sunday School class.



Although it took me longer than I wanted, it came out nicely, and this week, more dialogue will be taking place in my little corner of the church.

With this lesson being about David and Goliath, I thought I could talk about how we all have Goliaths' in our daily lives. Bullies are a big thing now, and what better way to talk about them than to tie it in to a lesson about David and Goliath, who was a big bully to not only David, but to all the Israelites.

Now, we know how the story ended, David killed Goliath with just a sling shot and one stone, but we cannot tell the children to go out and stone their bullies, that my friends is murder in the first.

The way I explain it is, if a bully is tormenting them, they should stand up and inform an adult. Bullying is terrifying, and I can speak from experience. The child being bullied is always afraid to say anything for the fear of being beaten or swirlied even worse. In the long run, telling an adult, whether it be a teacher, a parent, or an office official, it could save the child's life. The child has the power from God to be brave and conquer his or her fears.

Goliath was nothing but a big punk, and without the power of God, he had nothing on the Israelites. He went at the Israelites with a spear and a javelin, but what he didn't know was that David packed a secret weapon. His name is God. God supplied David with the power, bravery and skill to bring down that big bully. After Goliath had fallen to the small boy, the Philistines were now and eternally the Israelites subjects (servants).

I really hope that my Sunday school kids understand the importance of having God on their side because he will bring them through so many uncomfortable storms in their lives to come.

No comments: