Monday, November 15, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Yesterday, I taught on respect. What a touchy subject for a group of 7-11 year old kids.

I think they learned something though. I asked who they should respect, besides God, and they named all the normal answers, but left out one very important person. Themselves. They all looked puzzled when I said that they were leaving out one very important person, and they began going through the Trinity and I kept saying, "Yes, but no." It clicked when I said, "Yourselves." Each one was like, "OH YEAH! MYSELF!!"

I think that when taught about respect, the lessons don't usually include respecting themselves. It usually involves preaching to them about not misbehaving, back talking, and how they respect their elders and parents, but the self is never brought up.

I believe that it is imperative that we begin teaching the children of the world to respect themselves, early in life. That way they can love themselves and not cause their bodies harm.

Forgive me for the soap box rant.

No comments: